Ian Lim comments in The Edge Singapore: “When sharing becomes uncaring”

CLOSE

Directory

Thio Shen Yi, SC

Joint Managing Partner

Litigation

Stefanie Yuen Thio

Joint Managing Partner

Corporate

Derek Loh

Partner

Litigation

Jennifer Chia

Partner

Corporate

Melvin Chan

Partner

Litigation

Ian Lim

Partner

Litigation

June Ho

Partner

Corporate

Kelvin Koh

Partner

Litigation

Ong Pei Ching

Partner

Litigation

Mark Jacobsen

Partner

Corporate

Felicia Tan

Partner

Litigation

Jeffrey Chan, SC

Senior Director

Litigation

Prof Tang Hang Wu, PhD

Consultant

Litigation

Prof Hans Tjio

Consultant

Corporate

Kenneth Chua

Director

Litigation

Mijung Kim

Director

Litigation

Tania Chin

Director

Litigation

Leon Lim

Director

Corporate

Nanthini Vijayakumar

Director

Litigation

Nicholas Ngo

Associate Director

Litigation

Kevin Elbert

Associate Director

Litigation

Eugene Neo

Associate Director

Litigation

Benjamin Bala

Associate Director

Litigation

Vu Lan Nguyen

Associate Director

Litigation

Stephanie Chew

Associate Director

Litigation

Ernest Low

Associate Director

Corporate

Elizabeth Tan

Associate Director

Litigation

Crystal Tan Shi Ying

Associate Director

Litigation

Brenda Chow

Senior Associate

Corporate

Heather Chong

Senior Associate

Corporate

Nicole Lee

Senior Associate

Corporate

Tay Quan Li

Senior Associate

Litigation

Lyn Toh Leng

Senior Associate

Corporate

Angela Chai Rui Min

Senior Associate

Litigation

Arthur Chin Yen Bing

Senior Associate

Litigation

Joshua Phang Shih Ern

Senior Associate

Litigation

Chow Jian Hui

Senior Associate

Corporate

Lau Tin Yi

Senior Associate

Corporate

Phoon Wuei

Senior Associate

Litigation

Terence Yeo

Senior Associate

Litigation

Juliana Lake

Senior Associate

Litigation

Kashib Shareef bin Ahmad Hussain

Associate

Corporate

Goh Min Yi

Associate

Corporate

Sherlyn Lim Li Xuan

Associate

Litigation

Vanessa Cheong Shu Qi

Associate

Corporate

Lee Shu Zhen

Associate

Corporate

Nikita Garg

Associate

Litigation

Annabelle Lee Jia Xin

Associate

Corporate

Ang Kai Le

Associate

Litigation

Glenn Ng Qiheng

Associate

Litigation

Isaac Tay Zhuo Yan

Associate

Litigation

Markus Low Yu Wen

Associate

Corporate

Nicholas Fu Wei Jun

Associate

Litigation

Krisly Aw Jiaxin

Associate

Corporate

Shawn Tan Yi Wei

Associate

Corporate

Stasia Ong Pei Qi

Associate

Litigation

Sarah Kim Mun Jeong

Associate

Litigation

Ryan Yap Cheah Jin

Associate

Litigation

News

14 August 2019

Ian Lim comments in The Edge Singapore: “When sharing becomes uncaring”

Features Ian Lim

In the cover story published in the 29 July – 4 August 2019 edition of The Edge Singapore on the gig economy trend, head of labour & employment Ian Lim was sought for his views.

He said: “As said by Minister for Manpower Josephine Teo in March this year, the number of self-employed persons (SEPs) [in Singapore] — which include gig and platform economy workers — was more than 8% [of the total number of employed residents], and of these, about 90% preferred self-employment to regular jobs. Assuming the accuracy of the data, this may not sound like much of a problem, unless the remaining 10% of SEPs, who would in fact prefer regular employment, are mostly from lower-income families, who only do gig and other freelance work because they don’t have a choice.”

On self regulation, he said: “If the platforms are resistant to the voluntary standards or see themselves as exempt, then it may well be that some degree of regulation is specifically required to protect gig workers.”

He added: “Given the level of strict control and platform-switching disincentives many platforms have, a number of gig workers seem to end up rendering most, if not all, their services to a single platform. It may be that the time has come to consider introducing a separate, intermediate category of ‘workers’ — in between SEPs on the one hand and employees on the other — with some but not all the rights of employees.”

The story is behind a firewall; summary here: https://www.theedgesingapore.com/news/print-week/mind-gig-gap